Friday 23 December 2016

Deal Me In Challenge: The Wub by Philip K. Dick (1952)

Card Drawn:


Oink! Oink!
Moral of the story: If you happen to be colonizing a distant planet, try avoid eating the local livestock, especially if the creature can speak and possesses telekinesis. Just sayin.' For anyone who has perused my blog or knows me, Philip K. Dick is one of my favorite novelists but he was also an exceptional short-story writer too. The Wub is one of his earlier works that was first published in Planet Stories and while it is a light and comedic sci-fi romp, consisting almost entirely of dialogue, it is not one of his more memorable works. That is not to say that this particular story is not worth checking out for those who might be looking for a quick introduction to Philip K. Dick or enjoy classic space adventure stories from the 1950's but it pales in comparison to some of his more mature short-fiction that would emerge a decade later. Although The Wub is incredibly short and entertaining, it really doesn't leave a whole lot to chew on afterwards. No pun intended.

Excerpt:  

The slovenly wub might well have said: Many men talk like philosophers and live like fools.

You can read this story HERE.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can't believe that I haven't read Dick yet. I have a feeling that I'd love his works. Sigh! So much to read and yet the time slips away. I'm going cross country skiing today, so it will probably be shot for reading. Sigh again! Oh, and love your pun! ;-)

    ReplyDelete