Tuesday 17 March 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books On My Spring TBR List


It's that time of the week again. Thanks to the good folks at The Broke and the Bookish for hosting this meme, which is always fun. My track record for following through with reading lists has been rather spotty to say the least but surprisingly, I have doing pretty well so far this year. I'm keeping up with several of the reading challenges (even ahead in some despite the lack of reviews). There are so many novels that I anxiously want to read this spring but of course, time is a factor. Here is my tentative list (in no particular order):

1. Player of Games by Iain M. Banks: The EPIC space-opera of Banks' Culture Series continues. Even with its flaws, I thoroughly enjoyed the first installment and it was a perfect set-up for what might just turn out be one the more ambitious and highly entertaining Science-Fiction sagas ever.


2. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers: I have been slacking a little bit on my Classics Club Challenge and it was about time I got around to reading this novel, which has been on my shelf for a while now. I seem to have a certain fondness for stories set in the American south during the early part of the 20th century (Flannery O'Connor, Faulkner, etc). Word around the campfire is that McCullers' writing has a similar feel to the works of Steinbeck. That's more than enough incentive for me to finally read this one. 


3. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood: Being a Canadian and all, it's kinda embarrassing that I really haven't read much from Ms. Atwood. She's our most celebrated author and it would be nice to say that I have at least read more than one of her novels. Granted, I have read some of her short-fiction and a handful of poetry. That's gotta count for something right? I have also been meaning to read more SF from female authors, so this kills two birds with one stone.


4. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro: For the Reading England Challenge. I have heard nothing but high praise for this novel ('a modern masterpiece', etc) and hope it lives up to the hype. I also wouldn't mind watching the movie adaptation starring Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins afterwards.


5. Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami: Lately, I have found myself obsessed with Haruki Murakami's writing after devouring his collection of short-stories in After the Quake. This will be my first attempt to actually finish one of his novels instead of abandoning ship.

6. Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor: I love that cover art! There isn't much cultural diversity in the SF genre, nor do female writers tend to receive as much recognition in contrast to their male counterparts. So to come across a  post-apocalyptic story set in Africa written by an African woman...yeah, I want to read this. 


7. The Color of Magic (Discworld #1) by Terry Pratchett: As usual, I'm late to the party. With his recent passing, I now feel obligated to start the Discworld series. I've been putting it off for far too long and Pratchett also happens to be Priya's favorite author--so, naturally, I'm very interested to see if he will prove to my liking.

8. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell: Another novel for both the Reading England and Classics Club Challenge. Score. Hey, doesn't the gentleman on the cover look like Matthew Mcconaughey?

9. Travels with my Aunt by Graham Greene: Yep, another Reading England Challenge novel. However, I have also been meaning to check this one out for a while, since it is an anomaly in Greene's oeuvre; a light-hearted and entertaining novel that stands in stark contrast to his usual serious efforts.


10. The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe: For the Literary Movement Challenge of March, focusing on the enlightenment period. I tend to be apprehensive when it comes to reading philosophy (it's just not for me) but the premise of this one sounds fairly interesting, not to mention Fanda's enthusiastic endorsement.   
So, what's everyone else planning to read this spring? 

13 comments:

  1. Great list. Oryx and Crake is one of my favorite dystopias ever. I’ve been meaning to read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter for years, but I just haven’t gotten to it yet. I’ve heard that it’s very good.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were the one who convinced me that I really need to read Oryx and Crake asap. Hope to get to it next week or so.

      Thanks for stopping by Aj!

      Delete
  2. You have some fascinating choices and some that I wouldn't go near. Looks like fun though. I loved North and South and am really anticipating The Sorrows of Young Werther.

    I think I've read Remains of the Day. If so, I remember being confused. And the movie didn't help much. I count on your superior literary skills to explain it to me. However, if you end up confused too, there's no telling the degree of confusion we'll have then! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Haruki Murakami or Iain Banks would probably be kryptonite to you. :P

      I remember you mentioned that you liked Gaskell so decided to check her out on your recommendation. Started reading North and South last night and getting a Jane Austen-like vibe. Pretty good so far.

      The Sorrows of Young Werther seems right up my alley but I have no idea what to expect.

      Ha, you give me too much credit. If "Remains of the Day" ends up leaving me stupefied then you're right, we'll just have to compare notes.

      Delete
  3. Jason, my plans are less eclectic.
    See Beyond Eastrod:
    http://beyondeastrod.blogspot.com/2015/03/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-on-my.html
    As for your TBR list, I am intrigued by several titles, and I look forward to comments about Ishiguro, Atwood, and McCullers. (I included Oryx and Crake in an Intro to Lit syllabus a few years ago; it is strangely beautiful book despite its setting.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I prefer mixing it up. Reading nothing but 'classics' tends to drive me mental. You're right, your list is definitely more specific. I am going to be reading 'Walden' sometime soon and Moby-Dick is one of those behemoths that scares me. I've enjoyed Melville's short-stories/novellas though.

      Oh, I didn't know you used to teach although that doesn't surprise me, considering how erudite your writing is. Can you recall what other texts you taught during that course?

      Delete
  4. Ooooh . . . I like some of your choices. Heads up on Terry Pratchett. If you haven't read any of this books, don't let The Colour of Magic define your experience. As with many first books, it isn't the best. It sets the tone and starts defining the (Disc)world but the series doesn't really sailing for a couple more books.

    I love Remains of the Day. I liked it for being quiet and meditative, a gentle novel. Just loved it. Okay. Enough blabbering from me. I'm off to read more blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duly noted. Pratchett wrote so much and I just figured it would be the best place to start. If you have any other suggestions where to begin, let me know.

      I tend to really like sombre and meditative books so 'Remains of the Day' should be right up my alley. As always, your informative suggestions are always appreciated.

      Delete
  5. Oryx and Carke is a good one! I have to remember to finish that trilogy soon. Personally, my favorite Atwood (so far) is The Blind Assassin. It's a little bit sci-fi some mystery, and a lot of really great writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another positive endorsement for Oryx and Crake, thanks Lindsey! The 'Blind Assassin' does sound pretty darn cool as well. AHhhhhhhhhh! so much to read and so little time. :|

      Delete
  6. Murakami fan here as well. For me his short story collection "Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman" was my gateway drug. I enjoyed Sputnik Sweetheart as well. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on, glad to encounter another fan of Murakami's work. I'll have to check out 'Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman' now. Even though I haven't read many of his short-stories yet, I feel pretty confident in defending him as a master of the craft.

      Delete
  7. I think you'll like The Heart is a Lonely Hunter...great Southern Gothic.

    ReplyDelete