Tuesday 24 February 2015

Teaser Tuesdays: Carnival by Rawi Hage


It's been a long while since I've participated in Teaser Tuesday held by MizB of Should Be Reading, so I figured what the hell, let's do this. This is a weekly meme where you open up to a random page of your current read and post one or two teaser sentences from that page without giving away any spoilers. 



Page 4: "For the past five years I have lived in a building that hums with strange people, rodents and insects who come and go as they please."

That cover. It's awesome. This sentence sounds like it come right out of Hage's previous novel, Cockroach. I only started reading this late last night and haven't gotten very far. There's a visceral and raw quality to Hage's writing that really appeals to me. I have no idea what to expect with Carnival and don't have much knowledge about the plot either. Jumping in blind here. Rawi Hage really impressed me with his novel Cockroach and I've been curious ever since to check out more from this author. It happened to be on display at the library and the wacky cover really grabbed my attention. I have also been slacking on my Canadian Reading Project so perhaps Carnival will provide me with more incentive to press forward instead of abandoning ship.

5 comments:

  1. The cover reminds me a bit of Baz Luhrman's take on Romeo and Juliet. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're certainly reading a varied amount of literature lately! Good luck with your Canadian Project. Just the thought of it makes me whoozy ...... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I'm playing serious catch-up. I've got like 5 novels on-the-go right now plus making my way through a ton of short-stories. Losing sleep...need more coffee...

      Delete
    2. Awww...I was hoping that you might want to join my little project. Come on, take a break from all those classics and read some Margaret Atwood and Roberston Davies with me. You know you can't resist...

      Delete
  3. You're right Lindsey, I didn't even notice that. I'm also wondering if the artwork was inspired by surreal painters like Max Ernst-- "The Elephant Celebes" comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete